Research Associate I or II - Plant care and phenotyping
At InnerPlant (www.innerplant.com) we are reimagining the role of crops in our farming system, developing crops that can tell us what they need by turning plants into Living Sensors. Our Smart Seeds signal early and specific stressors in a scalable and affordable way to reduce chemical and fertilizer use while increasing yields, delivering more with less.
We’re backed by industry giant John Deere and other veteran venture capitalists and are poised for massive growth to realize a more productive and sustainable farming system. InnerPlant is a place for dreamers and optimists, people that believe they can change the world and that want to take action to leave a positive lasting impact. If you share these traits and want to apply yourself to make a real difference - this is the opportunity for you.
We are seeking a highly motivated, creative, and detail-oriented individual to play a key role in the scale-up of our plant biotechnology pipeline, engaging in both discovery and product development projects. This greenhouse and growth chamber position is a hands-on role focused on evaluating and producing Living Sensors in our top priority crops including soybean, cotton, tomato and corn. The right candidate thrives in a dynamic start-up atmosphere and takes initiative to move projects forward. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are also essential as this role is part of a collaborative interdisciplinary team. If your experience level doesn’t precisely match this position you are encouraged to still apply as we are growing.
- This role will primarily contribute to two critical functions, plant phenotyping and plant care, but may also include responsibilities across the entire biotechnology pipeline
- Produce plant pathogen inoculum and execute on plant infection protocols
- Phenotype plants using advanced imaging equipment while monitoring the development of disease symptoms
- Support greenhouse operations by maintaining plant health and monitoring automated water and fertigation equipment
- Follow standard operating procedures and safety protocols
- Receive and respond to environmental monitoring systems both within and outside of normal working hours
- Maintain detailed and organized records including interfacing with our records and tracking database
- Interpret results and communicate progress and challenges to colleagues and leadership
- Participate in maintaining a safe and clean working environment and perform routine tasks as needed
- B.S. degree in biology, horticulture, plant pathology, CEA agriculture, agronomy or other related field.
- 0 - 3 years of hands-on experience working in plant science, horticulture or related field
- Ability to follow protocols and recipes with precision and attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, ability to interpret data to generate conclusions
- A collaborative attitude with a desire to learn while delivering high quality results
- Ability to work in a sterile tissue culture hood for significant periods
- Ability to work in a greenhouse setting including lifting up to 40lbs , twisting and bending
- Experience working in a greenhouse including routine maintenance of greenhouse infrastructure
- Experience in sterile technique
- Experience working with plant pathogenic fungi
- Knowledge of quality management systems (QMS)
Expected Hours of Work
- Normal hours of operation Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (may be subject to change depending on operational needs)
- This role also requires the ability to work on periodic weekends and holidays
The US base salary range for this position is $65,000 - $80,000 + benefits. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training.
InnerPlant provides an amazing opportunity to work on some of the hardest problems facing humanity and help design the agricultural systems of the future. In addition to working with a fun team, we offer competitive compensation, insurance benefits, and flexible time-off.
InnerPlant provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.